Monday, March 26, 2018

Don't Even Think About It

When visiting Ghent it is necessary to stay at least three weeks. In order to feel the rhythm of this city, its history and culture and mood, the traveler needs time -- days and nights, walking the streets and riding the canals, wandering the cathedrals and sitting the cafes.

Because this is my first time in Ghent, and because I came here on a whim, I was unprepared for the beauty and history of this astonishing place. And since we are leaving Ghent tomorrow I have had little time to research some of the amazing stories I've encountered.

Thus this blog post is simply a visual feast of a few of the things I've found during our short time in Ghent.
Saturday morning
Vrijdagmarkt
On the north end of the city is the Vrijdagmarkt, a central square that has been hosting markets and executions since 1199. On this Saturday morning it was a place for old timers to share gossip, while vendors sold pajamas next to the statue of Jacob Van Artevelde.

Ghent is famous for resisting authority; apparently Jacob Van Artevelde is just one of the leaders of an uprising which took place in 1337 against the Count of Flanders, Louis I of France.
Statue of Jacob Van Artevelde
at Vrijdagmarkt

boaters on the River Leie














On Saturday afternoon the sun came out in a glorious array of light. All the humans of the city, along with a few of their dogs, also emerged for a day at the canal. It felt festive and cathartic, as though the last gasp of winter was expelled with one communal breath.

canal sitting youth and boaters on the River Leie




on the Vleehuis brug














This guy played the theme song from Fiddler on the Roof along with a modified version of Spanish Nights, both of which could be heard by the canal sitters and the boaters on the water.
motor boats and castles on the River Leie

kickin' it on the canal

On a different day I headed southeast to the museum district. My destination was STAM, the Ghent City Museum which tells the story of the region from the Middle Ages to the present day.
Belgium represents Emma


As I approached the building, which used to be an abbey and hospital dating to 1228, I was surprised to see a huge image of Emma González -- one of the survivors from the latest school shooting in Florida -- projected on the wall facing Godshuizenlaan. It was an inspiring show of solidarity with the youth of North America.

It's clear to me that I have only just barely begun to see the beauty and dignity of Ghent. So don't be like me and stay only for a week. Don't even think about it. Stay for a month, or maybe the rest of your life. It's that kind of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Reading List

The year begins in Panama, which influences the reading selections. Also I have set a goal for myself: I want to read at least one book each...