Thursday, March 15, 2018

The Hague and the Little Matter of My Missing Mojo

Five days ago, Hope and I made the move from Haarlem to Den Haag, a large city southwest of Amsterdam which is also known as The Hague.

Since we arrived here I have been to four museums, interviewed three curators, taken one Uber, ridden several trams and ordered Deliveroo three times. Today's meal -- Lebanese falafels with hummus and bahklava for dessert from Amier-- was arguably the best.

Somewhere in the scurry I have lost my mojo. To be honest, I have about 12,000 blog topics lined up in various stages of draft. That is almost NOT hyperbole. But the time is going very quickly, and our pace even quicker.

And now the little problem of energy, or lack thereof, has caught up with me. I have lost my mojo.

When I review the situation objectively it seems relatively straightforward.

I have been living out of a suitcase for over two months now. Often this requires washing clothes in the sink and drying them on the line. Rainy weather, such as the kind we experienced this afternoon, can make the second stage of the laundry process a challenge.

And because we are loaded with luggage I have resisted the urge to buy new clothes; therefore I have almost literally been wearing the same three pairs of pants, socks and shirts for nine weeks. It's probably best that I don't even get started talking about how unfashionable my winter boots are. They keep my feet warm and dry, and they allow me to walk six or seven miles a day in relative comfort. So I'm stuck with them until the rains stop.

Last week, in an effort at reducing our load, I shipped a box of books and some of the heavier winter clothes back home to David. It cost over 100 euros, and I suspect he will have to pay duties on it too. So I probably won't be doing that again.

And there you have it. There is much more for me to say, but I just don't have a lot of energy right now. Stay tuned for the return of the mojo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Reading List

The year begins in Panama, which influences the reading selections. Also I have set a goal for myself: I want to read at least one book each...